I love chocolate in the morning! Try these fudgy vegan crepes with yogurt or fresh fruit for an indulgent breakfast or dessert. They have a delicious chocolate flavor without using refined sugar.
Do you ever make crepes in the morning? They are similar to pancakes, but super thin and perfect for rolling with delicious fillings.These Chocolate Crepes are an extra treat, with their rich chocolate flavor!
A closer look at what’s inside:
This recipe uses all-purpose flour as a base. Sub for gluten-free all-purpose baking flour if you need a gluten-free alternative.
Use your favorite dairy-free milk to make these chocolate crepes. I used chocolate milk for extra chocolate flavor! You can also use a protein shake for an extra boost.
Thin out the batter with filtered water.
I use maple syrup as a low glycemic sweetener in these crepes. It adds sweetness, without causing a spike in blood sugar levels. Make sure you use 100% real maple syrup — nothing made with corn syrup or alternatives!
This is where the chocolate flavor comes from. Cocoa powder has a number of health benefits associated with heart health, brain function, and mood.
Baking powder is used in baking to increase volume and lighten the texture.
You always need a little salt for balance.
Looking for more breakfast ideas? Try these Spiced Chai Cinnamon Rolls!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour gluten-free if needed
- 1/2 cup dairy-free milk I used chocolate milk for extra chocolate flavor
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup cocoa or cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Coconut oil for cooking
- Add all ingredients (except coconut oil) to a bowl and mix until completely blended without lumps. We used an electric hand mixer on low speed for 1 minute.
- Put the mixture in the refrigerator to rest for 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add a drop of coconut oil and spread around the pan.
- Add 1/4 cup of batter to the heated skillet and slowly rotate the pan immediately so the batter spreads around the surface.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Flip and cook on the other side for 1 minute.
- Remove from skillet and continue cooking the remaining batter.
- Fill the cooked crepes with fresh fruit or yogurt.