Breakfast meets dessert with this delicious and healthy Banana Bread Apple Crisp!
This recipe uses my favorite Oat Flour Banana Bread as a crisp topping over apples for a cozy and warm breakfast treat.
A closer look at what’s inside:
Apples are one of my favorite fruits — they are delicious raw or cooked! They are also filled with antioxidants and fiber, making them a great choice for breakfast.
Balance the flavors of this dish with a touch of lemon juice. It adds vitamin C and a little tang.
I use both rolled oats whole and blended into flour for this recipe. Oats are a great addition to your breakfast routine. They are a good source of vitamins and minerals like manganese, magnesium, iron, zinc, and folate. They also contain protein and fiber to keep you feeling satisfied and full.
You can add a little sweetness to the filing with maple syrup! I love the flavor it adds, perfect for breakfast. Plus it is low-glycemic, so it won’t cause your blood sugar to spike like traditional cane sugar.
Cinnamon + Nutmeg
A little cinnamon and nutmeg pair perfectly with the warm apple filling. Plus both nutmeg and cinnamon have anti-inflammatory properties and are loaded with antioxidants.
I make banana bread all of the time to use up browning bananas. It is not unusual for me to have banana bread in my kitchen regularly and I love finding fun ways to enjoy it! This recipe works great with banana bread — and is a great way to use up banana bread that has gotten too dry or been sitting out a little past its prime. My go to recipe for banana bread uses oat flour so it is gluten-free! It also can use either eggs or flax eggs to be vegan.
Add a bit of crunch to the topping with chopped walnuts! You can actually use any nuts here, but walnuts pair so good with banana bread that they are my recommendation. Walnuts also add healthy fats including omega-3 fatty acids, protein, and magnesium.
Looking to make your Banana Bread Apple Crisp even more amazing? Try adding a scoop of Banana Nice Cream on top!
Banana Bread Apple Crisp
- 1 apple
- 2 tablespoons oat flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cup crumbled banana bread
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon oat flour
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and grease an 8” cast iron skillet with coconut oil. You could also use an 8” x 8” baking dish.
- Slice the apple thinly and mix in a bowl with the Filling ingredients — 2 tablespoons oat flour, lemon juice, maple syrup, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Add the Filling to the greased skillet in an even layer.
- In a bowl mix together the Topping ingredients — crumbled banana bread (here's the banana bread recipe I use), rolled oats, 1 tablespoon oat flour, and chopped walnuts.
- Sprinkle the Topping over the Filling in the skillet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the top starts to brown.
- Remove from the oven — be careful with the hot pan.
- Serve and top with Banana Nice Cream if desired.