Breakfast fit for a mermaid! Try making this Blue Chia Seed Pudding with butterfly pea flower tea. High in antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids this colorful dish is a great way to power up.
A closer look at what’s inside:
What is your favorite dairy-free milk? Feel free to use any milk you want to make this colorful chia seed pudding. I usually use either oat milk and cashew milk as I am a fan of their creaminess. Feel free to use flavored or sweetened milk if you want — whatever flavor you use will be the dominant flavor of this pudding.
I love using chia seeds for texture and added nutrients! After soaking they gel up and create a texture similar to tapioca. Not to mention they are filled with heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids! They are actually the richest plant source of omega-3s.
Butterfly Pea Flowers
These amazing flowers are one of the few edible items that are naturally blue. They have a great dark blue color and when steeped to make a tea it is vibrant and beautiful. If you add acid, it changes color and becomes pink (like in this color changing lemonade recipe) — it’s really quite magical! In this recipe I just utilize their natural blue color.
Depending on the milk you used, you may want to add a touch of sweetener. I like using maple syrup as I use unsweetened milk. If you are using a milk that is flavored or already sweetened, you may not need to add any additional sweetener. Feel free to taste and adjust as needed.
Enjoy this Blue Chia Seed Pudding on its own, in a parfait, or mixed into a smoothie — like this Mixed Berry Smoothie!
Blue Chia Seed Pudding
- 1 cup dairy-free milk
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 10 dried butterfly pea flowers OR 1 teaspoon butterfly pea flower powder
- Sweetener to taste optional
- *If using dried butterfly pea flowers — add the flowers to a tea infuser. In an appropriate container heat dairy-free milk in the microwave in 30 second intervals until hot, or over low heat on the stovetop in a saucepan. Pour the heated milk into a cup and add the tea infuser with flowers. Let sit, stirring often, until a rich blue color develops.*If using butterfly pea flower powder, heat dairy-free milk as noted above and stir in powder until dissolved.
- Mix the infused dairy-free milk with chia seeds. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator 4+ hours or overnight.
- Top as you please and enjoy! Works great in a parfait, smoothie bowl, or on its own.
I am not a medical professional. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition, dietary changes, or well-being.