Add some color to your morning! These steel cut oats are made blue naturally using butterfly pea flowers. Butterfly pea flowers are typically found in Southeast Asia and are known for their cool color changing abilities.
Let’s talk add-ins. What do you typically add to your bowl of oats? I always try to include some veggies! I love shredding carrots, sweet potato, or zucchini to cook along with my oats. It adds nutrients — and color — without altering the flavor.
This bowl includes shredded zucchini for a touch of green. Zucchini is rich in vitamin A, antioxidants, and also contains notable amounts of manganese, vitamin C, and potassium.
Blue Zucchini Steel Cut Oats
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup zucchini shredded
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 5+ butterfly pea flowers
- Bring water to a boil and add zucchini, steel cut oats, and butterfly pea flowers. Note: I saved a sprinkle of zucchini to stir in at the end for a brighter green color.
- Adjust to a simmer and cook 20+ minutes (with the lid off) stirring frequently.
- Once it has reached the desired consistency + texture remove from heat.
- Add your favorite sweetener + toppings — I used a drizzle of maple syrup, a few squeezes of lemon juice, pumpkin seeds, shredded coconut, and blueberries!
- Store any leftovers in the fridge. I like to eat cold oats the next day with yogurt and other toppings.