Enjoy lemonade with a twist — this color changing drink is perfect for summer!
Butterfly pea flower tea changes color when combined with acid. ??? This Butterfly Pea Flower Lemonade starts out naturally blue from the tea and changes to purple/pink when lemon is added.
Common in Southeast Asia, butterfly pea flower tea is an herbal, caffeine-free drink high in antioxidants. It is often used as a natural dye in food and clothing thanks to its vibrant color. The tea is thought to be anti-inflammatory and good for the skin. Not much is known about drinking the tea during pregnancy and it is often not recommended.
Butterfly Pea Flower Lemonade
Sweetened Butterfly Pea Flower Tea
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 cup agave syrup
- 1/2 cup butterfly pea flower tea loose
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups lemon juice fresh squeezed - 8 to 10 lemons
- In a saucepan over medium heat combine 3 cups water, agave syrup, and butterfly pea flower tea.
- Stirring frequently bring the mixture to a simmer, turn off heat, cover, and let steep for 10+ minutes.
- Strain out butterfly pea flowers and transfer remaining liquid to a jar in the fridge to cool.
- Juice lemons and mix juice with 2 cups of water.
- Fill glasses with ice and add cooled butterfly pea flower tea mixture.
- Add lemon juice mixture and watch the magic happen!
- Stir drink together and enjoy.