This chocolate cream pie is oh so silky and rich! Made with cashews, dates, and dark chocolate for a healthy twist on the classic dessert. Chocolate lovers, this one’s for you!
My mom asked for a chocolate cream pie for her birthday this year and I doubled down on the chocolate with a chocolate crust and filling. Since this dessert is a bit rich, it pairs perfectly with a little whipped coconut cream and raspberry sauce for a bit of brightness. Best of all, this recipe is vegan, gluten-free, and requires no baking!
Chocolate Cashew Cream Pie
- 1 1/2 cup cashews raw + unsalted
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 cup cashews raw + unsalted
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup Medjool dates pitted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash cinnamon optional
- Sprinkle sea salt
- 6 oz dark chocolate 72% cacao or higher
- 1 cup raspberries fresh or frozen
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
Coconut Whipped Cream
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk refrigerated
- In a food processor or powerful blender combine cashews, cocoa powder, and sea salt. Mix until well combined.
- Add maple syrup and melted coconut oil and mix again until well combined.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of a 9” pie pan. Depending on the depth of the pan, it may not need to come all the way up the sides.
- Place in the fridge until you are ready to add the filling.
- For the filling, soak ½ cup of cashews in cold water with a sprinkle of sea salt and a splash of apple cider vinegar (if you have it) for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, drain the water and rinse the cashews well.
- Add soaked cashews, 1 ½ cups fresh water, dates, vanilla, cinnamon (if using), and salt to a food processor or powerful blender and mix until smooth.
- Melt chocolate using a double boiler or microwave.
- Add melted chocolate to the cashew blend and mix again until smooth.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the Crust.
- Cover and transfer to the fridge to cool for 4+ hours or overnight. You can also freeze the pie for longer storage. Enjoy out of the freezer for a firmer pie or let sit for 10+ minutes to thaw.
- Add raspberries to a small saucepan.
- Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Add maple syrup and lemon juice. Stir to combine.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
Coconut Whipped Cream
- Refrigerate full fat coconut milk in the refrigerator 4+ hours or overnight.
- Remove the solid coconut cream from the can. (You can save the remaining liquid for smoothies or other recipes)
- In a medium bowl, whip the solid coconut cream until it forms a whipped cream consistency.