There is nothing like a warm batch of cinnamon rolls in the morning! These Spiced Chai Vegan Cinnamon Rolls can easily be made gluten-free. Tested by my non-vegan family and friends — this recipe is a winner! The spiced chai flavors pair perfectly with the warm cinnamon buns.
If you can’t eat them all in one sitting they are easily stored for 3-5 days on the counter or in the fridge. Pop leftovers in the microwave for 30-seconds to enjoy a soft and warm sweet treat anytime!
A closer look at what’s inside:
Chai Tea Latte
I am always a fan of chai, but it’s warm spicy flavors pair particularly well with fall flavors. Chai tea is made using black tea and a handful of Indian spices like cardamom, star anise, cinnamon, ginger, and peppercorns. Brew a cup of chai tea latte by steeping your favorite chai tea with heated milk of choice.
Active Dry Yeast
Adding yeast to the dough will help your vegan cinnamon rolls to rise and be fluffy. Make sure your yeast hasn’t expired as it may not work properly.
This recipe is butter free! Coconut oil is generally accepted as a healthier alternative to butter. Like butter, coconut oil is high in saturated fats. Many health professionals caution that the high level of saturated fats do more harm than good, particularly for those concerned with heart health. However, the saturated fats found in coconut oil are digested differently than most saturated fats. They are made up of medium-chain triglycerides (MCT) vs. long-chain triglycerides. MCTs are commonly associated with weight loss.
Sugar and brown sugar are traditionally used in cinnamon rolls, but if you want to keep things low glycemic feel free to swap in coconut sugar. This will give a slightly nuttier and less sweet filling and dough.
You can use all-purpose flour or sub for gluten-free all-purpose flour if needed.
Cinnamon is loaded with antioxidants and has many health benefits like reducing inflammation and improving gut health. It also has antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties.
Because you need a little salty with the sweet.
Looking for more vegan breakfast recipes? Check out this Easy Mix and Match Granola!
Spiced Chai Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 cup chai latte (chai tea brewed with dairy-free milk) warm to the touch
- 1 packet active dry yeast 2 1/4 teaspoons
- 3 tablespoons sugar + 1/4 teaspoon
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 2-3 cups all-purpose flour gluten-free if needed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons chai latte (chai tea brewed with dairy-free milk)
- Heat chai latte until warm to the touch, not too hot.
- Add yeast and 1/4 teaspoon sugar to warmed chai latte. Let sit for 15 minutes until yeast mixture becomes foamy.
- Once foamy, whisk in 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil.
- In a separate bowl, mix together 2 cups flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Slowly add up to an additional cup of flour to form a dough slightly sticky to touch, but not sticking to your hands. You likely will not need to add all of the flour.
- Knead the dough for 3-5 minutes by hand or using a mixer.
- Form dough into a ball and cover with a hand towel. Let rest for 30 minutes, the dough ball should grow in size.
- While the dough rises, grease a 9" round pan (or 9" x 9" pan) and prepare the filling.
- Add cinnamon, brown sugar, and salt to a bowl and mix to combine.
- Heat coconut oil to soften until spreadable (do not melt).
- When the dough has finished resting, flour a clean surface and roll the dough out into an 11" by 14" rectangle.
- Spread softened coconut oil over the dough rectangle, leaving about 1/2" on one of the longer ends clean.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar mixture over the coconut oil.
- Roll the dough from the longer side with oil/filling to the longer clean side. Use a little water to help the clean dough stick and seal to the roll.
- Cut the dough roll into 9 even pieces and place in the oiled 9" pan, swirls facing up.
- Preheat the oven to 350º Fahrenheit.
- Gently cover the rolls with a hand towel and let rise another 15 minutes.
- Bake rolls for 25-30 minutes, until lightly golden.
- Mix icing sugar with chai latte. Start with 1 tablespoon of liquid and add more until the desired consistency is reached.
- Drizzle baked cinnamon rolls with icing.