An incredibly filling fall breakfast, this thick Sweet Potato Pumpkin Smoothie and Chai Chia Seed Pudding Parfait has it all! Feel energized for hours after diving into the many textures of this dish. Vegan and gluten-free, your whole family will love these parfaits!
A closer look at what’s inside:
Chai Tea Latte
I love the warming spices in chai tea — like cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, and cloves! Paired with black tea for a lovely fall drink. You can make a chai tea latte by brewing your favorite dairy-free milk with chai tea (bags or loose leaf) or combining with a chai concentrate. Add a touch of sweetener if you want, but note that many chai concentrates have sweetener in them already if you are going this route.
Have you ever made chia seed pudding? It has a texture similar to tapioca and is packed with fiber, protein, magnesium, calcium, iron, and omega-3 fatty acids. I love including chia seed pudding in parfaits for a nutritious boost and a change in texture!
What is fall without a little pumpkin? This parfait uses pumpkin puree as part of a thick smoothie. Pumpkin is particularly high in beta-carotene — which your body turns into vitamin A — and antioxidants to protect your cells.
Like pumpkin, sweet potato is a great source of beta-carotene. It also provides plenty of fiber, vitamin C, manganese, and potassium.
Banana adds a bit of sweetness to the smoothie. I used a frozen banana to make it extra thick and creamy, but you can use fresh as well.
Looking for more healthy breakfast ideas? Try this PBJ Coffee Smoothie Bowl!
Sweet Potato Pumpkin Smoothie and Chai Chia Seed Pudding Parfait
Chai Chia Seed Pudding
- 2 cups chai tea latte dairy-free milk of choice + chai tea or concentrate
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
Sweet Potato Pumpkin Smoothie
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup cooked sweet potato
- 1 banana frozen if you want an extra thick smoothie
- 1/4 cup chai tea latte dairy-free milk of choice + chai tea or concentrate
- Prep the chai tea latte by mixing the dairy-free milk of your choice with chai tea concentrate or a chai tea bag. The amount of chai tea concentrate used will vary depending on the brand you are using — follow instructions on packaging. If you like things a little sweeter add up to 1 tablespoon of maple syrup to the mix. Some chai tea concentrates contain sweetener already, so taste test to get things just right! Prep 2 ¼ cup chai tea latte for both the Chai Chia Seed Pudding + Sweet Potato Pumpkin Smoothie.
- Add 2 cups of the chai tea latte and chia seeds together in a container with a lid and refrigerate 4+ hours or overnight to make the Chai Chia Seed Pudding.
- For the smoothie, add pumpkin puree, sweet potato, banana (use a frozen banana for an extra thick smoothie), and ¼ cup chai tea latte to the blender and blend together until smooth.
- Layer the Sweet Potato Pumpkin Smoothie and Chai Chia Seed Pudding in a mason jar. This will keep great in the fridge for several days if you are meal prepping!
- Top as desired – I used almond butter, granola, pumpkin seeds, dates, coconut, and a sprinkle of nutmeg.